Wednesday, April 23, 2014

Wednesday Randomness...Behind the Scenes


After missing Wednesday Randomness Blogging for a week, I’m glad to be back and to welcome a new lady to the group. Say hi to Gwendolyn Cease!


Had I written this blog last week, it would have been completely different. At that point I considered a different WIP my current project but then I had lunch with the fantastical Bronwyn on Saturday and now I’m going in a whole new direction. Or maybe it’s going back in an old direction, but with a new twist?

See, I wrote the first draft of this book that I thought would be the first in a series of four. Something felt off though. What I realized is...its not supposed to be a series. Its supposed to be one book.

How can I go from four books to one you ask? Well, let me tell you. It is going to be one page-turning, action-packed, conflict-filled piece of YA. If I do say so myself.

Here's the gist of the story. Girl is a witch, and a bad one, as in no talent. Her family has an affinity for the element of water, dating back to a spell cast centuries ago. Things are going awry because that spell is causing the natural order to be thrown out of balance. Girl meets boy who has an affinity for the element of fire and a quest begins. Originally that quest was going to be completed over the four books. Instead, its going to be one intense ride.

I have to say, this decision to re-work the story feels right and I'm excited about it again. I haven't been excited about writing in quite awhile. 

Here are a few pictures to show you some of my inspiration for this story.
Lake Michigan - the true inspiration
The lighthouse in Grand Haven

Main Street - home to the Silver Moon

To see behind the scenes of everyone else's projects, click on a name below.

Alright, back to it. I have a LOT of editing to do.

6 comments:

  1. I'm so glad you were able to figure out what was stalling you. :) It drives me nuts when that happens - when you know something is off and just can't put your finger on it. But then when you figure it out...best feeling ever. And to be excited to write again? Totally awesome. :-D

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so freaking excited that you're excited!!! :D And I love, love, love this story and I know that you're on right path!!! <3

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like on exciting, intense ride of a story, Best wishes!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nothing like finding your way! Can't wait to read it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Isn't it nice to be excited about writing again? I'm feeling energized too. I think it's the end of the winter blues. So glad you've found your story mojo!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I totally agree with Tess. This winter was a total bitch and I think it got to everyone. Now that spring is here it's clearing out the cobwebs. Glad that's happening with your writing. Go you!!!

    ReplyDelete